Thursday, May 5, 2011

Coasting Into A Teacher's Appreciation Gift for Day #2

Day One's gift went well.  If you didn't see it, you can find it here.  And to tie into the first gift, I decided that the next gift would be a handmade coaster for their glass.  Not only are these super simple to make, they are very inexpensive.  Two of my favorite things!!

First, I purchased some tumbled, natural stone tiles at Home Depot.  They sold for about .30 cents a tile.  When I got home, I rubbed the tops down with some alcohol and let them dry for an hour.  This is to make sure that there isn't any debris on the front of the tile that may interfere with the stamping that will happen next.

Next, I chose an ink called "Brilliance"--they have them in a multitude of colors.  I stamped two designs--one with Blue and the other with Coffee Bean.  You could use Staz On brand, but in my area I have a hard time finding them and they are very expensive, plus "Brilliance" works just as well, and usually costs less. 

Then, I chose my stamp and inked it well.  I centered the design on the tile and pushed down firmly.  (I actually stood up and put my weight down on the stamp so as to come in contact with as much of the tile as possible--since these tiles are uneven.)  I carefully lifted the stamp and voila!  A pretty design. 

I let these set for about half an hour or until dry.  Then, I placed them into a cold oven.  I "cooked" them at 325 degrees for 30 minutes, then turned off the oven, leaving the tile to cool down with the oven.  This will take a while, so it's best to do this part when you have a bit of time.
 
coaster with cork and felt bumpers

Last, I cut some felt (or you can use self adhesive felt bumpers) and glued it to the bottom of the tiles.  This keeps the coaster from scratching the surface they are on.
 
This seemed a little less then adequate, so I baked some cookies  from scratch from the refrigerator section and put them into a baggie.  I tied the cookies coaster with a bow and slipped a mint stick between the bow and top of the tile.  A nice simple and sweet gift for the girls' teachers.



Cost Breakdown: $ 1.13 per gift

Tile...... $  .30 each
Stamps...... free as I already had these
Stamp Pad (Ink).....free as I already had these
Ribbon.....free as I already had this
Cookie Dough.....$5.42 for 2lbs @ WalMart--but only used about half the container.
Baggies........free as I already had these (but you can get them for $1.00 at the Dollar Store
Stick Mints.......$1.00 for box of 12 at the Dollar Store.




No comments:

Post a Comment